Monday, January 26, 2009

3600 Microsoft Shoes waiting to drop

Well, as I'm sure you have heard...like everyone around the world was talking about the layoffs at Microsoft. I luckily am not part of the initial 1400 people that got laid off last week, but some of my friends did not escape unscathed. There will be more layoffs over the next 18 months. An additional 3600 jobs are planned to be axed. That's a lot of shoes to dodge for our CEO. He better seek out Bush to get some shoe dodging lessons.

Anyways, back to tri talk, that's why I have this blog right? I finally found a way to swim without irritating my foot. It's called duct tape! Yes, that's right. I tape up my feet to give it stability and it works! I can kick now! This weekend my diet was blown to pieces. What I mean to say is, I ate very unhealthy as there were parties and stuff. On Saturday, I did strength training, indoor cycling and swimming. On Sunday I did 2 hours on my bike trainer. Tonight, I will do some cardio and some strength. Tues-Thurs are my heavy swim days. I sure hope my foot gets better now that I am taping them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't understand what is going on with your foot. It's just PF, right? And in tri training you really don't need to be kicking a lot. Use it mostly for stabilization of your stroke.

Anyway post a better update later. I might be able to offer helpful advice.

Angela said...

You're right, I don't actually kick very much. Unfortunately, even a little kicking still hurts. I don't know why, but duct tape helps a lot, as long as I don't kick like crazy. I think, it is the toe pointing that is aggrevating it, when I tape my foot up, it prevents me from pointing. Fins are definitely out of the question.

Anonymous said...

I experienced a problem as a collegiate swimmer where all the tendons in the top of my foot would hurt. I could do one short swim with my toes really pointed properly but my feet would hurt for the rest of the day afterward.

What I did: I used a hottub before practice for at least 10 minutes with the jet (it was a therapeutic hottub) directly on the tops of my feet. After practice I iced for 15 minutes. On the weekend or offdays, I alternated heat and ice (this really helps with healing.)

What I should have done additionally: take celebrex. Alternatively you can try motrin. Don't take more than 3 at a time. I like celebrex way better but you need a 'scrip for it.

Your problem sounds even worse because you have PF going on as well. I think you should really take it easy--maybe focus on riding your bike more or doing activities that don't require flexing of your feet. It's pretty tough to do, I know, but don't push this type of injury.

Back in the college days, I even had to sleep with my feet hanging off the end of the bed or it would inflame my tendons. I hope you don't reach that level of "enjoyment" with your injury. I can definitely see how the tape might help but the thought of you using it is pretty amusing to me ;)

-db (from fb)