Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The truth behind my addiction

So I exercise almost every day and sometimes even twice a day. Is this abnormal? There's not doubt that I'm doing very good things for my health. And still on the few days I take off, I feel guilty for not doing something active. We all handle stress differently. When I'm stressed I workout - this keeps me happy.

In my college years I was out of shape and not comfortable in my own skin. While I am in way better shape now than I was back then, my brain has not caught up with my body. My body is much stronger and fitter now than it has ever been, but my subconscious doesn't believe it. Thus, often I find myself not believing in my abilities. For example, not believing that I am a good enough swimmer, or biker or runner. So I compensate and work even harder. Fortunately, my consciousness understands that with time I will get there.

Anyways, so I decided to pick up piano again to find other ways to destress. I'm going to take a few hours to learn how to play a song from the movie "Amelie" by Yann Tiersen (up on my playlist). Enjoy!

1 comment:

Alison said...

I feel like this post was written by me two years ago. LOL. I was an addict for many years. Then I discovered triathlon and my addiction got me through three half-marathons, a marathon and a half-ironman (and at least a dozen tris). It was training for an ironman that did me in, though. Injuries that I had ignored for years finally caught up to me with age. Breaking my addiction was one of the hardest things I've had to do, if not the hardest. Now I still love to work out, but I am easier on myself. I usually only exercise once a day (unless I ride my bike to work, in which case I have to bike home). I take at least two days off per week. I was forced to clean up my diet. I am still in good shape and weigh 10 lbs. less than I did when I finished my half-IM. I still miss those 100-mile bike rides, but I'm OK with 30 miles now. I think it's a good idea to recognize that you're addicted before it's too late and do something about it. :)