Sunday, March 23, 2008

Getting use to the smell of "Perfume de Pool"

I am so happy that I took advantage of the beautiful sunny weather on Saturday by going on my first bike ride in 15 years! I know, I am long over due! I biked the North part of the Burke and Lake Sammamish River trail. According to my bike computer I put in 30 km which is not bad. The trail is relatively flat and I was able to get up to 30km/h on a flat (18.6 miles/h) but I was not using my hardest gear. Over the next few weeks I would like to improve my speed - I think some thing closer to 20 miles/h on a flat would be better. The night before my ride, I realized that my tires needed more air, so I took my bike pump out of the packaging. It turns out the valve on a road bike is different than on a mountain bike. Anyways, I first tried with my portable air pump and had no idea how to use it. The end didn't match up with the valve on my tire. So I went to my full size air pump that has a pressure gauge - which I have no idea how to use by the way. Anyways, I was able to fill my tires with the full size pump. Then I proceeded to fiddle with my portable pump some more and ended up bending the valve on my tire (frustration!). So now it's really hard to fill the front tire now :(

The ride was so amazing! I can't believe how good my bike feels, Gregg's did an awesome job fitting me because I didn't have any pain the next day - which is a good sign in my opinion. Also, I had expected the ride to be difficult but the carbon fiber seat post in combination with my women specially designed seat and gel seat cover absorbed all the vibration. The only issue I had was that I ended up dehydrating myself a bit because I didn't know how to pull the water bottle from my bike while riding.

I ended my weekend with a swim workout today. No matter how hard I clean, I smell of chlorine. So I normally run on Sundays, but I don't like running in the rain and cold - I seem to have lost my Canadian edge. When I was younger, I had to walk to school every day in 40 below weather. That's minus 40 degrees celcius people!

No comments: